Friday, January 8, 2010

Cool Stuff No 1 (isn't that original?)

I was interested in the concept of the water drum so I went exploring. I found several descriptions and pictures. The water drum was made by many different Native American peoples out of the types of materials that they had in their everyday lives. In some cultures, the body of the drum was made from hollowed out logs (that still had bottoms) or some other wooden material such as a cypress knee that was partly filled with water and then had a skin pulled tightly over it. Other cultures used pots as the base, small barrels, crocks or even castiron kettles. An article on the Lenni Lenapi tribe stated that "Today the preferred drum is made from no 6 cast iron kettle."

Some pictures are:


Both of these are Iroquois water drums.









I also found a very intereresting video on YouTube. The url is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9uaxH. Check it out. This particular video seems to have more African elements with the bell and the shaker, but it is still pretty cool. I like the water drums made from the gourds floating in the bowls of water. Upon researching this a little farther, I found a reference that these kinds of water drums are characteristic of Ghana.

Then I got distracted from a water drum to water drumming, ie, using water itself as a drum. These seem to be Polynesian women, and I know it's outside of the assignment, but I like it so you are stuck hearing about it! Check out this url http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEgJhfWKq4A.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. When I was researching water drums, I also ran across a few videos of people using water itself as a percussion instrument. It was really cool. It's something my sister and I would do as children in the swimming pool, but I never imagined people doing it as a real production. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really cool how resourceful they were. Music was so important to them they would use whatever they could. It makes me wonder who thought to build drums like that. I'm guessing they'd say that the idea was given to them by a spirit or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really interesting to hear about how many different items people were able to make drums out of. I actually looking this up after i read your blog and saw several diffferent looking water drums. They seem very simple to make. The actual water drumming is awesome. I never would of thought of this. The makes me want to go try this out:) It bet it would be alot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like all the different water drums and the more information you found on them. It is so interesting how the Native Americans can take different things and make a drum out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WATER DRUMMNG= YES!!! This is AMAZING! Now I know what to do next time I go to the beach, or I am near water...or maybe in the bathtub!! It is also neat that these are women! They are making music for fun and in the water!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked all the differnet water drums and all teh information you found on them. It was very insteresting. It just blows my mind of all the things Native Americans can make from so many different things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. water drums sound really interesting, and there are so many different kinds of them!!I've never seen or played a water drum before and I think it will be a nice experience to play it if I ever get the chance to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is all really well done, Jane. I especially like the Polynesian women turning the sea into a drum at the end.

    If possible, it's best to use an actual link or video embed, rather than just a typed web address. I never could get the first address to work (youtube said it had a malformed video something or other...)

    ReplyDelete