Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Religion & Music

I guess I can't think of religion without thinking about music. The two are inseparable in my mind and in my experience. I have heard of religions that do not use music, but they are not common.

As noted in earlier postings, I have participated in church music for most of my life in one form or another. I have sung in choirs, I have directed choirs. I have rung in bell choirs, I have directed bell choirs. I've written music for both. I've played piano and organ as well as other instruments in church. I noted earlier that I sometimes think my father chose his church by the quality of the music program. It wasn't the only factor, but it was a factor.

The way that music is used in religion varies widely. I don't have personal experience with non-Christian traditions, and although I have read a lot about them, I will comment on the Christian sects with which I have had experience.

Christianity for the most part uses music to emphasize certain parts of the worship service. It is used in praise of God (however God is defined), to teach the words of God, and to emphasize specific teachings of the religion. Perhaps the most important function of music in worship is to set the tone for the service so that the participants will be more receptive to the words that are spoken. Music can be nonverbal (prelude and postlude) or verbal. It can be sung by the choir (anthems) or by the congregation (hymns).

Hymns are extremely interesting and many studies of hymns have been done. I personally have a collection of over 300 hymn books of many different religions in several different languages and notations. I very much enjoyed the symposium last year about Singing Billy Walker because I had studied about him many years ago. I have compared some of the hymns from one book to another and have observed differences between them. The same hymn may appear in different books with modified words, different numbers of verses, or completely different words.

The presentation of music in different churches is also very different. I work in a Methodist church directing the handbell program, something that is not common in my church. I find it ironic that the church headquarters in Salt Lake City have recently started a handbell choir, and although it does not enjoy the stature of the other more established organizations (such as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir), the handbell choir still exists and over time will take a more prominent place within the church. At the same time, I sometimes see things performed in other churches that I'm not comfortable with. I realize that many will disagree with me, but personally, I have a very difficult time listening to rock music in church. And some of the churches that use praise bands have a hard time understanding why many of us really enjoy the "old" music. Some churches sing nearly everything and others use a couple of hymns and a lot of speaking. And we all call ourselves Christian.

Does music make the religion? I think it plays a very significant role in some cases, but I do believe that religion definitely makes the music. Where reverence is emphasized, the music is quieter and more reflective. Where praise the emphasized, the music is louder and more energetic. And there are many places in between. I have contended for many years that we listen to the voice of the god that we hear and I think that applies to the music, also.

You might have guessed that I think about this a lot and I do. Both music and religion play significant roles in my life and sometimes reflecting on how they work together is appropriate. I believe that they are completely intertwined as I have heard angels sing with mortals on more than one occasion. I believe that our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ like heartfelt music, too. It's nice to be able to serve in a way that I enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. I love how much thought you put into your blogs! It is refreshing to see someone so intuned to their interests and talents that they explore the theology associated with it. In fact, as a non-music major, I have been very impressed with how serious music majors are about their craft. I find it refreshing to see and hear the passion that you all have for music. I have found it very interesting that almost all of the music majors heavily equate music with the divine--which is just another of the many indicators of the importance of music to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 300 hymn books!! Can we please sit down together soon and talk! This is so neat. I love that you are starting a handbell chior!! Yay for you! I think music is in religion because that is often how we communicate with God. Angels do sing with mortals. I think many are so fond of the now labled 'old' songs because they have been sung for generations to sing you to sleep. But I have also wittnessed these 'new' rock songs and others to be sung in thoes tender moments life. I love when new hymns are shared with me by childeren of God. Hymns that are the song of their heart, eyes, and soul. Thank you for life Jane. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family has also chosen which church to go to based partially on the strength of its music program. Why? Because music and faith are so interconnected, as you say. And that’s not just because music lends emotional power to religion: it’s more than that.

    Wow! I thought my family’s collection of hymnals was a bit large – we have seven, not including multiple editions of the same hymnal – but 300 definitely trumps that.

    Anyway, thanks for a good, well-written, and well-organized blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 300 hymnals is a lot. It's very very neat that you have that collection. I have that many thimbles from around the world, but definitely not that many hymnals.

    I do agree. Music and worship is our form of communication with God.

    And it's really neat that you have so much experience doing that many different things in church. Church is definitely an avenue for learning all kinds of things- leadership, music, public speaking, how to deal with people, how to deal with children, communication, teamwork... and everything in between.

    ReplyDelete