Thursday, January 28, 2010

Wrap-up Part 2 (or II or dos or whatever)

Golly Ned! What to say? I'll give it a shot so here goes. In answer to the 3 questions:

1. I guess I learned most about African music. I always knew about the drumming, but never really sat down and listened to it. I also was intrigued by the Native American water drum and found it interesting when I found the African analog of it.

2. As far as knowing my own culture is concerned, I guess I didn't learn anything particularly new. Instead, I just got more confirmation on my own views on the difference between genuine "right" and "wrong" and cultural versions of "right" and "wrong". I guess I'd better explain that in a little more detail. I belong to a church that is world-wide. When the church moves into different cultures across the world, there is a tendency to say that the American way of doing things is the way that God, who just happens to have grown up and lived right down the street here, wants things to be. I believe that to expect Latinos to grow up having taken piano lessons is silly. It's not in their culture. They grow up learning guitar. Why can't they use a guitar in church and serve themselves instead of having to have an Anglo come in to play the piano for them? I just feel that there is a disconnect here and it needs to be looked at. Now - off my soapbox.

3. The cultures presented in class didn't really jump into my psyche and insist on being a new passion. I still maintain a sincere interest in different musical forms and instruments. The course gave me new information about some cultures and I will be able to talk more intelligently about some of them than previously. The world is a wonderful place to explore and learn about. I really hope to visit some of these cultures and learn about them by experiencing them. Thank you for the opportunity to learn more.

That being said, the video I posted in my previous log showing the belfry of the Liverpool Cathedral in action excited a passion I hadn't realized existed. Oh dear, I hope this doesn't mean I'm going to get involved in Change Ringing! There is a ring in Hendersonville and 2 in Charleston and I have a friend that used to do it on tower bells. I've got the resources!

2 comments:

  1. But soapboxes are fun! And I have to agree on that point. When coming in from another culture, people really should take into consideration the culture they are moving into. Plus, I presonally find it fun to examine fusions of all kinds. I think I already once how much I like fusion music, but seeing other things like dance and religious services are fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preach it Jane! No I agree. We do have a tendency to think our way of life is the best. Do you remember what one of the speakers in one of the Native American videos we watched said. It really opened my eyes, so I wrote it down. He spoke about the ability to adapt. Living in America, most of us form our own little bubbles that consist of people like us. We don't learn to adapt to other cultures. It's uncomfortable. The speaker said "Excusivity is a form of racism. People should be open to other languages and learn it without an attitude towards it."

    ReplyDelete